Monday, May 19, 2014

Marriage Lesson from Country Music



A while ago I was listening to the song "Like My Dog" by Billy Currington and it got me thinking about loving my husband. The song seems silly and fun when you listen to it, but when you really break it down it can give you a good understanding of what your husband wants from you"

"He never tells me that he's sick of this house, He never says why don't you get off that couch? He don't cost me nothing when he wants to go out, I want you to love me like my dog."
Ok, we can either look at this as a lazy man who doesn't want to invest effort into anything or we can look at it and see that our husbands would love for us to show that we are content with what we have, not be demanding, and to spend time with them. When my husband is sitting on the couch where is our dog? Right next to him and enjoying the time by his side. This is where I could choose to be as well, enjoying time relaxing with my husband (dishes can wait).

"He never says I need a new attitude, Him and my sister ain't always in a feud, When I leave the seat up he don't think that it's rude, I want you to love like my dog does baby."
Again if we take a moment to look past the basics we can see that our husbands don't want us to judge them and try to change them. They want us to try to get along with their family. They want us to not take everything personal (leaving the seat up isn't a personal attack on us).

"When I get home I want you to just go crazy, He never looks at me like he might hate me, I want you to love me like my dog"
When my husband gets home our dog is so excited. From the second that he can hear the truck in the driveway he is running to the door and waiting with anticipation for my husband to come in. He runs circles waiting and just can't wait to see him. How often do you meet your husband at the door when he comes home? And not waiting to start listing off your problems of the day or his to do list, but to give him a kiss and let him know you are excited that he is home. The second thing is that we need to pay attention to what our body language says to our husband. I can definitely think of some looks I have given my husband that don't communicate love.

"He don't play dead when I wanna pet him, I want you to love me like my dog does honey"
Ok, there shouldn't need to be much explanation on this one... our husbands want us to respond sexually to him. Not make excuses or be "too tired". My dog has never turned down a time when my husband wants to pet him and on top of that, he makes an effort to get my husband to pet him. Enough said.

"He never says 'I wish you made more money', He always thinks that pull my finger is funny, I want you to love me like my dog."
Our husbands desire to provide for us. We need to be content and not demanding more. We need to relax and not be so uptight about things. Our husbands are different from us, and thank the Lord that they are, because two of us wouldn't make for a great marriage.

I asked my husband if he agreed with this song and he said, "Well yeah, that's why they call him man's best friend". I challenge you to love your husband this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment