Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Fun Wife


 
 
There we were sitting by the water, eating dinner, and talking. No interruptions. No having to cut up food into tiny pieces. No having to run to the restroom multiple times with each child. No having to get up a million times to pick up a sippy cup or toy that has been thrown down.  It was just me and my husband sitting down to an enjoyable dinner out.

We had traveled from Michigan to Florida for a family reunion and while on vacation we left our three young daughters with their grandparents and headed out on a date. At home we used babysitters typically to watch our girls while we worked, but rarely did we take the time out of our busy lives to date each other. We sat there sharing our appetizer, looking at each other, and enjoying the sunset as the refreshing breeze came in off the water.  I was glad that I had taken the time to put on a sundress, do my makeup, and leave my hair down the way my husband likes.

As we sat there across from each other something wonderful began to happen. We began to talk to each other. And not the typical “how was your day” or “guess what the kids did today” kind of conversation. We began to really share and dream with each other. We started discussing what we wanted to see in the future, where we would live if we could muster up the courage to move away from home, what business ideas we would like to start. We were really listening to each other and being open with our ideas and thoughts. We laughed with each other and enjoyed each other’s company. It was a wonderful night and rejuvenated us for heading back at the end of the night to all the other roles that we fill each day.

We have heard the advice to have a date night every week. As much as we want to make that happen, the reality is that my husband and I have allowed life and busyness to get in the way. But on those days when we do sneak away for a chance to be just husband and wife again, I am always reminded of the importance. On our last date we enjoyed a night of dinner and laughing. When we left the restaurant my husband commented on how great it was that I had become his “fun wife” for the night instead of being “mommy”. It was the best compliment I had received in a while and it was a great reminder of what my husband needs from me… a fun and supportive wife, not a mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment