Monday, June 23, 2014

Healthy & Cheap Snack Options for Car Trip to Disney

 

Our family of 5 is headed to Disney World at the beginning of August!! We love our Disney trips - this will be our 5th trip since November 2010. One of the things I look forward to about a vacation is the food! We work hard to plan and budget before we leave home so when the car pulls out of the driveway we can relax and enjoy. When at home we pick the cheaper options when eating out, don't go to many restaurants, and shop the sale ads at grocery stores. When we go on vacation I like to splurge on my food! This is why I love the Disney dining plan. We pay ahead of time for our meal plan (well on our other 4 trips we had FREE dining) and then we can choose whatever our hearts desire at each meal instead of looking at prices.

However, we have a 22 hour car ride before we reach Disney; and that is if we drive straight through, which we're not. So this year I am working to find healthier options for us to snack on while we are in the car. Our youngest is 2.5 which can mean for some pretty messy eating in the car. So far some of my ideas are:
  • Pretzel rods
  • String cheese (probably only the first day because of cooler issues)
  • Trail mix
  • Apple Slices
Last year I heard a great tip for apple slices which made the school year lunch packing so much easier for my oldest daughter.
  1. Take an apple slicer (can use a knife but it's faster with the slicer) and push almost through the apple but pull the slicer back out of the apple instead of pushing through the bottom.
  2. Keeping the slices together on the core wrap the apple in plastic wrap.
  3. When snack or lunch time comes your child can easily pull the slices away from the core and the slices won't be brown and gross
I am thinking of doing this as a way to bring some fruit into the parks with us that the girls can eat easy while waiting in line. I am also considering trying to make some homemade protein bars, but I haven't found a recipe yet.

My daughters also like s'mores in a bag - which isn't completely healthy, but it is fun to eat. We put teddy grahams, mini marshmallows, and chocolate chips in a snack bag and shake them up!

If you have any suggestions for more snack options in the car I would love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment